Well the change of seasons is upon us and with that change comes the inevitable sniffly nose, headaches, fatigue and scratchy throat that we all know so well as the common cold. Feeling sick and being far from home can be an unpleasant experience for even the most hardened of travelers.
When you don’t have home or mom within arms reach there are a few Argentine home remedies that you may be able to find some comfort in.
1. Put freezing cold towels on your head- A pretty basic trick to help bring down a fever
2. Put thyme on your chest- Apparently the aromatics of thyme will help to alliviate chest congestion
3. Locro o guiso de lentejas- A hearty warm soup full of lentils, beans, and all the good stuff your body needs to recuperate.
4. Scarf around neck- It is a common belief that a cold neck will give you a cold, so keep those scarfs on!
6. Avoid cold beverages- If you have a soar throat don’t even thinking of taking a sip of a nice cold beverage, stick only to the hot stuff!!
7. Vibaparu (Vick’s Vapor Rub)- Most of you are familiar with the good ol’ scent and relief provided by Vick’s Vapor Rub. But if you’re going to want to ask an Argentine for it, you’re going to need to pronounce it the Argentine way “Vi-ba-parU”